Coin Ney Forum

Coin Ney Forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-09 16:01:16

Iomarbebyadomy

The Battle for Affordable Open Access

The Battle for Affordable Open Access.
Posted in          by                , Elsevier cut off thousands of scientists in Germany and Sweden from reading its recent journal articles, when negotiations over the cost of a nationwide open-access agreement broke down.

Universities across Europe have started to realize this

The , , , and  universities have negotiated at the national level with publishers such as Springer Nature, Wiley, Taylor & Francis, Oxford University Press, .

And Elsevier (the largest publisher)

In many cases deals have been made, with more and more options for open access publishing, at prices that were acceptable to the universities.
However, in several cases no deals have been made.

The Dutch universities could not agree with the

the French failed with , and now Germany and Sweden could not come to agreement with.
A common point of contention is that universities are only willing to pay for journal subscriptions if their employees can publish open access without additional article processing charges — a demand that directly challenges the current business model in academic publishing.
In all these negotiations it is crucial that universities take back ownership of what they produce.
Every single researcher can contribute, simply by making all of their own papers available on their institutional ( for my university) or subject repositories (e.g., ).

This helps in two ways:      Nevertheless

during my two years as department head I have seen many researchers who fail to see the need or take the time to upload their papers.
I have begged, prayed, and pushed, wrote a green open access  to address any legal concerns researchers might have, and wrote a  on how to upload a paper.
Despite all this, my department barely meets the university ambition of having 60% of its 2018 publications available as ( or gold) open access.
To the credit of my departmental employees, however, they do better than many other departments.
Also  uploaded to conference sites have typically been less than 60%, suggesting that the culture of self-archiving in computer science leaves much to be desired.
© Arie van Deursen, 2018.
Licensed under.
Euro image credit: ,.
, , , ,                         My Last Program Committee Meeting.
Writers and Collaborators Workshops                         Leave a Reply Cancel reply.
Enter your comment here.
Email                  Name                 Website                                                            You are commenting using your WordPress.com account.
(  /     )                                                            You are commenting using your Google account.
(  /     )                                                            You are commenting using your Twitter account.
(  /     )                                                            You are commenting using your Facebook account.
(  /     ).
The Battle for Affordable Open Access.
Search               (1).
(1).
(2).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(2).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(2).
(2).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(2).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(1).
(3).
(1).
(1).
(1).
Post to                                                                 bloggers like this:.

Board footer